Hungary's Foreign Minister, Peter Szijjarto, on Friday visited the quake-hit area of Croatia to attend the ceremony of the delivery of the first two out of 50 containers which Hungary decided to donate to Croatians whose homes had been damaged by the 29 December devastating earthquake.
The first two containers were delivered in the town of Petrinja. The remaining 48 can be expected next week.
The visiting minister said that the donation of 50 containers had been ensured by Hungary’s MOL company, as the biggest investor in the Croatian economy. Hungary’s oil and gas group holds 49.1% in Croatia’s INA company. As Croatia’s largest investor, Mol feels a responsibility for everyone affected by the earthquake, particularly those in the Sisak, according to the minister.
Apart from this donation, a Hungarian company is going to deliver 5,000 lamps, and the Hungarian government pledged to participate in the reconstruction of one church and one school destroyed in the disaster.
Szijjarto said that he wished strength and endurance to the Croats in the quake-wrecked areas.
Croatia’s Foreign and European Affairs Minister Grodan Grlic Radman and Minister Tomo Medved, who is at the helm of the task force to deal with the aftermath of the quake, thanked Hungary for the assistance and donations.
Medved said that the need to help people after the quake made the Croatians as well as all the neighbouring countries and partners united.
The head of the Civil Protection Authority, Damir Trut, said that Turkey had sent 70 containers that would arrive in Croatia on Saturday.
Also on Friday, ten more containers were delivered to Sisak from Austria. Between 300-350 families that were left without their homes in the quake, have to date been provided with container homes, Trut said.