County Prosecutor’s Office withdraws Agrokor indictment

NEWS 16.11.2021 12:35
Share:
Source: Robert Anic/PIXSELL, Ilustracija

The Zagreb County Prosecutor's Office on Tuesday withdrew the indictment in the Agrokor case, which accuses the former conglomerate's owner Ivica Todoric and 14 others of defrauding it of HRK 1.2 billion.

The Prosecutor’s Office said it withdrew the indictment, filed on 14 September 2000, in order to “better clarify matters.”

It was reported earlier today that former prosecutor Mirela AlericPuklin, who worked on the case, her husband Goran Puklin, and former Agrokor management board member Pirucka Canjuga, one of those indicted, were arrested for leaking information from the investigation.

Todoric and 14 others are accused of defrauding Agrokor from 2006 to 2017. Prosecutors contend that Todoric gained HRK 923.6 million in the process and the Dutch company Agrokor Investment BV another HRK 320 million.

The Zagreb County Court has been discussing since the end of January this year whether grounds for the indictment exist.

Last month, the High Criminal Court ordered a review of the legality of the financial evaluation on which the indictment is based, after quashing a Zagreb County Court decision that rejected defence motions for removing a combined financial and audit evaluation as illegal evidence.

The said evaluation was conducted by the KPMG company’s Polish branch for which the state paid HRK 8.6 million. The defence claims it constitutes illegal evidence, given that the company’s Croatian branch also worked on the evaluation.

The Zagreb County Prosecutor’s Office said it considers the evaluation to be legal.

(€1 = HRK 7.5)

Komentari

Vaš komentar