Police director: No prior indication shooting on St. Mark's square might occur

NEWS 13.10.2020 11:03
Share:
Source: Matija Habljak/PIXSELL

Chief of Police Nikola Milina on Tuesday said that there was no prior indication that the shooting that occurred on Monday in St. Mark's Square, when 22-year-old Danijel Bezuk fired at Government House and gravely wounded a police officer and later committed suicide, would occur.

“What we have managed to investigate so far does not show any indication that something like that might occur and the perpetrator did not have a criminal record,” Milina told Croatian Radio.

He confirmed, however, that the police had searched several premises in Kutina that Bezuk used and found several firearms and ammunition.

Milina explained that the wounded policeman is still in intensive care and that his condition is stable. Investigators have not been able to question him yet as he was in the operating theatre all day yesterday, he said.

Police trying to uncover motive

The police are working intensively to try and uncover the motive for yesterday’s incident and have called on anyone who can provide any information to do so, adding that a case like this has never been recorded.

Milina added that the police are retracing the perpetrator’s steps and confirmed that there was no indication of any possible threat to citizens prior ti the shooting. He said that the weapon he was carrying was hidden from sight so no one could have warned that something unusual was occurring.

According to Milina, the perpetrator was carrying a long gun and three other policeman were in the area at the time. Milina added that a small firearm was found next to Bezuk’s body with which, it is assumed, he committed suicide.

Milina added that after MEP Ivan Vilibor Sincic dumped a load of watermelons from a van in front of Government House, security measures were ramped up and the number of police patrols there were increased.

Security measures need to be upgraded

Yesterday’s event, however, has shown the need to upgrade security measures.

He added that physical obstacles have been erected in the square and no one can enter the square “without a justified reason.”

Asked whether gatherings in the square would be banned, Milina said the law specifies how protestors can gather in the square.

He commented on some reactions on social media supporting the attacker, saying that citizens should not close their eyes to various types of threatening behaviour, whether that be domestic violence, traffic violations or illegal possession of weapons.

According to data he presented about the police operation “Fewer weapons, less tragedy,” just this year the police have confiscated 2,542 firearms. of which 135 were automatic weapons, and 112 kilograms of explosives.