Union leader at the Rijeka-based 3. Maj shipyard, Juraj Soljic on Thursday said that preparations were already being made to launch production at the dock which is something workers are hoping will occur as soon as possible.
Soljic added that workers also expected to be paid nine outstanding wages as soon as possible.
He appealed on the Finance Ministry to start paying wages and other activities so that production could commence.
Soljic added that Edi Kucan would remain as the director of the dock and that the Supervisory Board had extended his term for open ended period.
Asked about a new bail out for the dock, Soljic said that they were aware that the shipyard could not remain to be under state ownership.
“This is an opportunity for 3. Maj to find a new strategic partner in the next two years that will seriously enter into 3. Maj and be involved in ship building. We have a lot of support from the Economy Ministry in that regard and the judiciary and Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic.
There are about 700 workers currently at the dock and the union considers that they are sufficient to launch production and if necessary to engage sub-contractors.
Earlier in the day the government decided to allow the issuance of a conditional payment guarantee in the amount of 150 million kuna to the Rijeka-based 3.Maj shipyard.
Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said that finance-wise that meant that the guarantee would not cause any additional costs for the government and that it will make it possible for the dock to complete the ships already under construction at the dock.