Police in the Una-Sana canton of northwestern Bosnia and Herzegovina on Monday continued bringing migrants to the makeshift Vucjak camp outside Bihac despite last week's announcements that the camp would be dismantled as totally unsuitable for accommodation of migrants, local media said.
A group of migrants was transferred to Vucjak from a dilapidated former metal factory in Bihac on Monday morning.
An estimated 600 illegal migrants are currently staying in the Vucjak camp, situated on a former landfill near a minefield close to the Croatian border.
Last week Security Minister Dragan Mektic and the head of cantonal government, Mustafa Ruznic, agreed to close down the camp and transfer its occupants to other camps, such as Bira and Miral which meet the basic conditions for accommodation of migrants during wintertime, or to a new reception centre in Blazuj, near Sarajevo, which is not yet fit to take them in.
The head of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Office of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), Peter Van der Auweraert, told N1 television that there was still no official confirmation of how and when the Mektic-Ruznic agreement would be carried out.
Under the agreement, the migrants would not be relocated by IOM but by police.
Residents of Blazuj are opposed to the plan and have announced to take all the necessary measures to prevent the relocation, including by blocking access to the former army barracks which would serve as a temporary shelter for about 350 migrants.