President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic has asked her French counterpart Emanuel Macron to ensure a review of the decision to suspend the search for missing Croatian sea captain Dino Miskic and his crew who many believe could be alive ten days after their ship sank in the Atlantic.
In a letter, Grabar-Kitarovic asked Macron to use his authority to ensure a review of the decision to suspend the search as long as there is even a slim chance and hope that it might be successful, her office said on Sunday.
The ship Bourbon Rhode, with a 14-member crew on board, sank on September 26 in the Atlantic, about 2,000 kilometres from the nearest mainland, the French island of Martinique. The search lasted for a week and resulted in the discovery of three crew members who were alive and four who died.
The crew were mostly Ukrainians and it also included one Russian, one South African and one Filipino. The captain was Dino Miskic, a Croatian national.
The French Regional Operational Centre for Surveillance and Rescue (CROSS) on the island of Martinique said on Friday that the search for the missing members of the crew of the Bourbon Rhode had been suspended.
After the official announcement that the search for the seven missing crew members had been suspended, the Miksic family on Saturday appealed to the Croatian prime minister, president and government to help them ensure that the search continued.